The Circular Plastics Alliance has committed to boosting the EU market for recycled plastics to 10 million tonnes by 2025. The CPA takes action to reach this target and publishes its deliverables on this page.
The Circular Plastics Alliance aims to boost the EU market for recycled plastics to 10 million tonnes by 2025. The alliance covers the full plastics value chains and includes 293 organisations representing industry, academia and public authorities. New stakeholders can join the alliance by signing its declaration.
Who the members are and how new members can join
The Circular Plastics Alliance is open to all public and private actors from European plastics value chains that are ready to actively contribute to delivering on the declaration of the alliance. There are currently 293 signatories (list below). To join the alliance, an organisation must sign the declaration, committing it to the alliance's shared vision and to contributing to its operational work.
Before joining you may want to
- read the alliance's declaration
- read the working rules and competition compliance policy
- watch the 2020 and 2019 Circular Plastics Alliance videos
- read our frequently asked questions
What the alliance does
As explained in the alliance's declaration, the signatories "take action to boost the EU market for recycled plastics up to 10 million tonnes by 2025". The summary of the alliance’s commitments for action lists the planned deliverables, with deadlines. Several deliverables are already published and new deliverables will be published soon. See more on commitments and deliverables.
Make or update a pledge
To help boost the EU market for recycled plastics to 10 million tonnes by 2025 and show their commitment to this goal, stakeholders can make voluntary pledges to produce or use more recycled plastics.
The European Commission presented its first assessment of the pledges in March 2019.
Many pledges are published on the circular economy stakeholder platform.
The Circular Plastics Alliance is an initiative under the European Strategy for Plastics (2018), in particular under Annex III related to voluntary pledges by industry. The European Commission launched the Circular Plastics Alliance in December 2018 to help plastics value chains boost the EU market for recycled plastics to 10 million tonnes by 2025.
Timeline of the Circular Plastics Alliance
- 25 February 2021Steering committee meeting
- 11 February 2021Steering committee meeting
- December 2020 - January 2021Side sessions of the general assembly (signatories only)
- 11 December 2020: Standardisation for a circular plastics economy
- 19 January 2021: The CPA meets the NGOs
- 20 January 2021: The CPA Monitoring system, roadmap for implementation
- 26 January 2021: How can digital platforms help sell 10 million tonnes of quality recyclates in Europe
- 28 January 2021: Synergies between the CPA and the National Plastic Pacts: the example of Portugal
- 4 December 2020First general assembly of the signatories
- Throughout 2020Frequent meetings of the 6 working groups and 4 thematic coordination teams
- 16 October 2020Steering committee meeting
- 1 October 2020Steering committee meeting
- 29 June 2020Steering committee meeting
- 30 April 2020Steering committee meeting
- 11 December 2019First meeting of the steering committee
- November 2019First meetings of the 6 workings groups
- 10 October 2019Workshop at the European week of regions and cities
- 20 September 2019High-level event of the Circular Plastics Alliance and signing ceremony
- March - September 2019Working level meetings and drafting of the declaration of the alliance
- 5-6 March 2019Meeting of the pledgers
- 4 March 2019Publication of European Commission’s assessment report on the voluntary pledges
- 5 February 2019First meeting of the Circular Plastics Alliance at EU Industry Days 2019
The Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs provides the secretariat for the Circular Plastics Alliance.