At the workshop, EU countries presented national initiatives to stimulate growth through innovation clusters; the European Space Agency presented its Space Solutions activity; and the European Commission provided information regarding the Investment Plan, Horizon 2020, COSME, ESIF and innovation policy in general. The main purpose of the workshop was to underpin European space entrepreneurship.
The event focused on:
- Next steps for space in the context of the EU's Investment Plan
- Awareness raising regarding private investment sources (business angels, venture capital funds) to support entrepreneurship
- Links with the upcoming programming cycle of Horizon 2020 and COSME and synergies with the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF)
- Outreach and advisory services for space relying on existing networks.
The discussion was structured around three panels, which were dedicated to private and public initiatives, and gaps and solutions for the space industry.
Documents and links
Panel 1: Private initiatives
- The Business Angels experience – Candace Johnson – European Trade Association of Business Angels (EBAN)
- The Venture Capital experience – Nicolas Louvet – Serena Capital
- The Seraphim Space Fund experience – Mark Boggett – Seraphim Capital
Panel 2: National initiatives
Panel 3: Gaps and solutions for space
- Frank Salzgeber, European Space Agency, Technology Transfer Office
- Alessandro Carano, European Commission, DG ECFIN
- Vygandas Jankūnas, SMEs, Financial instruments and State aid, European Commission, DG RTD
- Astrid Bartels, COSME Financial Instruments, European Commission, DG GROW
- Mark Nicklas, Innovation Policy and Investment for Growth, European Commission, DG GROW