On 23 May 2011, the European Commission held a high-level conference on Defence and Security Industries and Markets.
This event was organised in the context of the transposition of the two Defence related Directives (2009/43/EC on transfers and 2009/81/EC on procurement) and provided the opportunity to discuss the current state and future perspectives of the sector which is of strategic importance for Europe.
Some of the key questions were:
- What results can we expect from the two Defence Directives?
- What remains to be done to accomplish a European Defence and Security Market?
- How to consolidate the demand side of the market?
- What is the expected impact of budget reductions and increased bilateral cooperation on the industrial landscape?
- How to maintain capable armed forces and competitive industries in times of severe budget cuts?
The Conference brought together a number of high level speakers and representatives of the defence and security community, both public and private (ministries, armed forces, European institutions, national parliaments and industries).