It is designed to:
- raise the quality level and independence of vehicle type-approval and testing
- increase checks of cars that are already on the EU market
- strengthen the overall system with a European overview
The agreement concerns the Commission's January 2016 proposal to fully overhaul the EU ‘type-approval’ framework.
The type-approval framework sets out the rules for:
- certifying that a vehicle meets all requirements to be placed on the market
- rigorously checking that manufacturers continually comply with EU law