Every year, a number of international meetings bring together world-class scientists working on 3R alternatives to animal testing (Replacement, Reduction or Refinement). Costs linked to participation may prevent students with promising work from attending. The EPAA partners sponsor 3Rs Student grants so students can participate in these events.
The jury will comprise 4 representatives of the EPAA Steering Committee (2 from the industry and 2 from the European Commission) who will judge the applications.
For each of the eligible events, a lump sum of €1500 is available. Two levels of grants are offered by the EPAA partners: half grant and full grant.
- A half grant covers the reimbursement of the event registration fees up to a maximum of €500, on the basis of the expense receipts.
- A full grant covers the reimbursement of the event registration fees, as well as travel and accommodation fees, up to a maximum of €1000, on the basis of the expense receipts.
Eligibility criteria for both students and events are defined as follows.
1) Applicants have to be based (i.e. studying) in one of the EU countries. Citizenship may be from any country (i.e. also outside of the EU).
2) Applicants must have graduated (BSc / First cycle completed with at least 180 ECTS credits) when applying and should not yet have a doctoral degree.
3) Applicants must still be considered as full-time students when applying.
4) No funding or reimbursement by another entity for the same student and event is allowed.
Selected high-profile scientific meetings are eligible for the EPAA 3Rs student grants. The eligible events are announced on the EPAA website every autumn for the following year. Only events that take place in the EU+EEA area will be included. The following are selected for application in 2018 (application deadlines are 2 months before the event):
EUROTOX annual congress – Federation of European Toxicologists - Deadline: 2 July 2018
EUSAAT congress – European Society for Alternatives to Animal testing - Deadline: 23 July 2018
ESTIV – European Society of Toxicology In Vitro - Deadline: 15 August 2018
Application and selection process
Application process follows the following approach:
1) Applications must be sent to EPAA functional mailbox (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 2 months before the event date, by midnight
2) The award will be granted provided an abstract is accepted for an oral presentation. At the sole discretion of the Jury, work presented in a poster format may be eligible in exceptional cases. EPAA visibility must be guaranteed by including a clear acknowledgement of EPAA’s support in the presentation/poster.
The selection is made by the jury on the basis of the following documents to be provided by the applicant:
- Abstract submitted for one of the selected events
- Detailed CV of the applicant with list of publications (if any)
- Cover letter describing why the work described in the abstract is important for the 3Rs and why it should be supported by the EPAA grant
- Recommendation letter from a professor/supervisor also confirming the applicant is a full-time student
- Proof of acceptance to the event (i.e. invitation to the event or confirmation mail)
Enquiries should be directed to grow‐email@example.com