Several sets of targets and performance indicators for city sustainability have been developed in the European Union (see e.g. EKLIPSE, Think Nature, EnRoute, UnaLab and many national and local sets.). They often differ across scales and geography, and often are not easily adaptable to the planning, governance and management systems of the average city. There is lack of universal and consistent data in this regard, as well as a lack of agreed common, easily adaptable targets and performance indicators for NBS, Urban Green Structures, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services that cover planning, management, governance and performance. A system that allows for mutual benchmarking and inspiration between cities, which is easily understandable by citizens, politicians, administration, business and developers is desired. Such a system would also give the Member States and the Commission the means to overview city-level performance in this area. Despite numerous proposals regarding targets and indicators in NBS, cities in Europe need to agree on a common set of targets and indicators, to support benchmarking between cities and to improve the communication platform towards national and EU level.
This action will, through a collaboration with already working initiatives/projects on targets and indicators for Nature-Based Solutions, Urban Green Structure, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, contribute to establishing a relevant, easily adaptable and easy-to-implement set of targets and indicators for cities. The action will bring together several parties already working on the same topics and offer the cities a chance to contribute as a partner to contribute in making the targets and indicators relevant to and easily adaptable for implementation in the cities.
The first part of the action is to establish and develop cooperation with relevant stakeholders. The Partnership will invite frontrunner cities within NBS, Urban Green structure, Biodiversity and/or Ecosystem services to cooperate with the action to secure the quality of the results.
Considering the inputs from ICLEI, and after the participation of one member to the Partnership to the H2020 Taskforce, the action has been designed so as to complement the on-going work to make it useful and relevant for all cities across Europe. A workshop assembling the cities of the EU Urban Agenda, ICLEI, frontrunner cities, representatives of the H2020 projects Taskforce on indicators, as well as key stakeholders of sustainable urban development at EU level, will be organiSed.
The final product will be an elaboration of an agreed set of targets and indicators, recommended by all involved partners.
- Sustainable Use of Land and Nature-Based Solutions Partnership full Draft Action Plan
- Draft Action 1: INCLUDING LAND TAKE IN IMPACT ASSESSMENT PROCEDURES
- Draft Action 2: FINANCING MODELS FOR BROWNFIELD DEVELOPMENT
- Draft Action 3: IDENTIFYING AND MANAGING UNDER-USED LAND
- Draft Action 4: INDICATORS OF LAND TAKE
- Draft Action 5: PROMOTING FUA COOPERATION AS A TOOL TO MITIGATE URBAN SPRAWL
- Draft Action 6: BETTER REGULATION TO BOOST NBS AT EUROPEAN, NATIONAL AND LOCAL LEVELS
- Draft Action 7.1: PREPARE AN NBS FUNDING GUIDE TO ASSIST CITIES IN ACCESSING FUNDING FOR NBS PROJECTS
- Draft Action 7.2: OVERCOMING THE BIAS FOR EXISTING SOLUTIONS THROUGH NBS FINANCIAL INCENTIVES MAINSTREAMING
- Draft Action 8: AWARENESS RAISING IN THE AREAS OF NBS AND SUSTAINABLE USE OF LAND (URBAN SPRAWL)