Training modules for students organized within the project ”Journalism as learning tool” (2019-1-NO01-KA201-060268)
The training will be delivered for at least 20 high school students from Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Belgium, in the presence of teachers and experts from the countries already nominated, as well as from Norway and Austria.
Content of training modules:
Presentations and exercises about news production and why media literacy is important, exercises and methods used to encourage youths to write and publish stories.
Training modules objectives:
- to encourage an attitude of inquiry and exploration of media;
- to strengthen student ability to communicate and to deal with different public information;
- to encourage ethical use of media tools for free and responsible self-expression;
- to create a context where students can practice communication, research, creative writing, self-expression skills;
- to create innovative ways for teachers and schools to use journalism as a tool and methodology to train students on media literacy.
Topics for the training modules:
I. Explore the role of media in the modern world
- Explore our relationship with media. Understanding how media content affects culture and society;
- Identify the differences between social media and traditional media
- Media Literacy and the Challenge of New Information and Communication Technologies
- Analyze the role of digital literacy in the jobs of today and the future. Observe the trends, issues, and opportunities related to the use of digital technologies in the school and workplace
- Identify marketing and communication strategies.
II. Journalistic techniques
- Let’s learn how to tell our stories through journalistic products. Create and share your own media content;
- How to develop and use the school media tools (newspaper, webpage, TV, radio, etc.) to promote relevant information
- How to use different media tools (newspaper, webpage, TV, radio, etc.) to document different school projects/ topics
III. Journalistic ethics
- Rules for ethic management of public information
- How does the media affect us? (positive and negative aspects)
- Brainstorm ideas to make students aware of copyright and licensing issues