On 15 May 2019, Commission Directive (EU) 2019/782 establishing harmonised risk indicators to estimate the trends in risk from pesticide use was adopted. This Commission Directive establishes Harmonised Risk Indicators as referred to in Article 15 (1) of Directive 2009/128/EC.
The European Commission is obliged to calculate Harmonised Risk Indicators at Community level and to make the results available to the public under Article 15(4) of Directive 2009/128/EC.
Member States are obliged to:
- calculate the Harmonised Risk Indicators under Article 15(2)(a) of Directive 2009/128/EC.
- identify trends in the use of certain active substances under Article 15(2)(b) of Directive 2009/128/EC
- identify priority items, such as active substances, crops, regions, or practices that require particular attention, or good practices that can be used as examples in order to achieve the objectives of the Directive under Article 15(2)(c) of Directive 2009/128/EC.
- communicate the results of these evaluations to the Commission and to other Member States and to make this information available to the public under Article 15(3) of Directive 2009/128/EC.
Both the European Commission and Member States must to complete these tasks for each calendar year, and at the latest 20 months after the end of the relevant year, (for example, by 30 August 2020 for 2018) in line with Section 2, Article 7 and Section 3, Article 6 of Commission Directive (EU) 2019/782.
The Commission, in collaboration with Member States, has developed a Methodological Guide to assist Member States to calculate Harmonised Risk Indicators, which is publically available on the Eurostat website.
The Commission has committed to develop a more sophisticated indicator to show the trend in the risks associated with emergency authorisations. In the future and when data becomes available, it is envisaged to develop additional indicators to facilitate monitoring specific aspects of the Directive 2009/128/EC. These future indictors could be based on organic farming, certification of sufficient knowledge acquired by professional users, and inspection of pesticide application equipment.
- National Action Plans (English)
- Overview Report- Sustainable Use of Pesticides
- Search our Database for Audit Reports on the Sustainable Use Directive
- Directive on Harmonised Risk Indicators
- Low Risk Plant Protection Products
- Monitoring and Surveying of Impacts of Pesticide Use
- Training for Governmental Officials (BTSF)
- Standards for inspection of Pesticide Application Equipment
- Inspection of Pesticide Application Equipment (External Links)
- Links to Related Policy Areas
- Commission publishes updated pesticide risk indicators for 2018
- 2nd Report of the Commission to the Parliament and the Council on progress in the implementation of Directive 2009/128/EC on the sustainable use of pesticides
- Farm to Fork Strategy – for a fair, healthy and environmentally-friendly food system
- Report of the European Court of Auditors on Sustainable use of plant protection products
5 February 2020
- Report on joint SANTE-ESTAT workshop for agricultural statisticians and SUD experts
12 November 2019
- EC SUD implementation monitoring: New audit reports published
28 May 2019
- Adoption of Commission Directive on Harmonised Risk Indicators
15 May 2019
- Member States benefit from BTSF sessions on Integrated Pest Management and Pesticide Equipment Testing