The European Union is a major importer of food and feed. Strict import rules with respect to food and feed hygiene, consumer safety and animal health status aim at assuring that all imports fulfill the same high standards as products from the EU itself. Import controls are crucial in verifying compliance of food and feed products with relevant requirements.
Current approach to import controls varies according to the sector.
Mandatory channelling of products to border control entities and uniform frequencies for checks apply to live animals, products of animal origin, plants and plant products because of the risk those commodities might pose in relation to animal or plant health respectively.
The vast majority of other products of relevance for the food chain is not channelled through specific border entities and doesn't need to undergo mandatory checks prior to their entry into the EU. It concerns for example feed and food which are of non-animal origin - including certain composite products, additives and other substances that might impact on the characteristics of food and feed, or materials intended to enter into contact with food.
One notable exception is food and feed of non-animal origin which is temporarily subject to mandatory border controls due to the existence of an identified risk (i.e. the products listed under Regulation (EC) No 669/2009).
- Food and feed of non-animal origin
- Animals and products of animal origin
- Plants and plant products
- Approval of pre-export checks
- Veterinary border controls
- FAQs on veterinary border controls
- EU import requirements - food of animal origin
- Information for countries exporting to EU - EU Trade Helpdesk
- Information for EU businesses exporting from EU - Market Access Database
- Commission Staff Working Document on the enforcement by national customs authorities of Regulation (EC) No 669/2009
- Q&As on increased level of official controls on imports of certain feed and food of non-animal origin (March 2015)
- Results of MS border controls - 2014
- Results of MS border controls - 2013
- Results of MS border controls - 2012
- Results of MS border controls - 2011
- Results of MS border controls - 2010