The Farm to Fork Strategy aims to improve the availability and price of sustainable food and to promote adoption of healthy and sustainable diets by consumers. Key elements include improving consumer information, strengthening sustainable food procurement and encouraging adoption of fiscal measures that support sustainable food consumption.
The strategy sets out the following actions:
- Proposal for a harmonised mandatory front-of-pack nutrition labelling to enable consumers to make health conscious food choices
- Proposal to require origin indication for certain products.
- Determine the best modalities for setting minimum mandatory criteria for sustainable food procurement to promote healthy and sustainable diets, including organic products, in schools and public institutions.
- Proposal for a sustainable food labelling framework to empower consumers to make sustainable food choices.
- Review of the EU promotion programme for agricultural and food products with a view to enhancing its contribution to sustainable production and consumption.
- Review of the EU school scheme legal framework with a view to refocus the scheme on healthy and sustainable food.