Satisfactory results in animal breeding depend to a large extent on the use of domestic animals of high genetic quality. The Union's zootechnical legislation aims at the promotion of free trade in breeding animals and their genetic material considering the sustainability of breeding programs and preservation of genetic resources.
The basic aim of...
free trade in breeding animals and their genetic material
legal right for entry in a breeding book (herd-book, flock book, studbook) of the same breed
... is reached by harmonised rules on:
recognition of breeders' associations and breeding organisations
entry of purebred breeding animals in breeding books
issuing of pedigree certificates
carrying out performance testing and genetic evaluation
acceptance for breeding
- Standing Committee on Zootechnics
- Previous rural development programming periods
- Community Guidelines for state aid in the Agriculture Sector
- Agricultural Markets
- The EU Reference Laboratory (Interbull)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) – Animal Genetic Resources