In 2015, the European Commission launched a three-year Pilot Project aiming at improving animal welfare during transport by developing and disseminating Guides to Good and Best Practice for the transport of the main livestock species.
In September 2017, the contractor of the project published five extensive guides to good practices (only in English) as well as 17 technical fact sheets focusing on the most practical information in A4 format. Fact sheets are available in eight EU languages (English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Romanian and Spanish).
This publication is followed by a road show in eight Member States and presenting the guidelines to the professionals concerned (transporters, drivers, farmers, official veterinarians, etc.). The project will also produce five videos (one per species in eight languages).
Council Regulation EC 1/2005 defines the responsibilities of all actors involved in the transport chain of live animals entering or leaving the EU. It lays down efficient monitoring tools and stricter rules for the transport and for the specific checks to be carried out by officials. It also provides for non-discriminatory inspections of animals, means of transport and accompanying documents.
EU countries are required to submit to the Commission, by 30 June each year, an annual report for the previous year on the non-discriminatory inspections together with an analysis of the major deficiencies. Click here to access the annual reports.
In order to reduce the administrative burden on EU countries, Commission Implementing Decision 2013/188/EU, which came into force on 1 January 2015, established an harmonised model form for the annual reports.
Transporting live animals to Turkey?
Have a look at the leaflet for drivers, on the EU rules on animal welfare during transport (available in BG, CZ, DE, FR, EN, HU and PL languages)!
In October 2017 the Commission concluded a study on the "Welfare of farmed fish: Common practices during transport and at slaughter".
- Brexit:Notice to stakeholders withdrawal of the United Kingdom and EU rules for the transport of live animals
- Audit inspection reports
- Inspection reports from EU countries
- EFSA scientific opinion on animal welfare during transport
- Animal welfare during transport (summaries of EU legislation)
- Community standards on staging points (summaries of EU legislation)
- Committee of Inquiry on the Protection of Animals during Transport
- Report on protection of animals during transport
- Study - impact of Regulation EC 1/2005
- Executive summary of the Study
- Study key messages
- List of approved control posts