- helps fishermen in the transition to sustainable fishing
- supports coastal communities in diversifying their economies
- finances projects that create new jobs and improve quality of life along European coasts
- supports sustainable aquaculture developments
- makes it easier for applicants to access financing.
Financial allocation per member state
How it works
The Fund is used to co-finance projects, along with national funding.
- Each country is allocated a share of the total Fund budget, based on the size of its fishing industry.
- Each country then draws up an operational programme, saying how it intends to spend the money.
- Once the Commission approves this programme, it is up to the national authorities to decide which projects will be funded.
- The national authorities and the Commission are jointly responsible for the implementation of the programme.
How to access EMFF funding
To see if your project is eligible for EMFF support:
- First check with the national authority in charge of managing the operational programme in your country.
- Then follow the relevant application procedures so that the managing authority can check the eligibility of your project and whether it meets the relevant selection criteria and investment priorities.
EMFF and other EU funds (ESI)
- The EMFF is one of five European Structural and Investment (ESI) Funds which together, promote a growth and job based recovery in Europe. Learn more about the links between funds and how Member States are applying them.
- A monthly newsletter (“European Structural and Investment Funds Open Data”) on the ESI funds, which contains open source data on the use of the Funds, as published by the Member States, is available for subscription here.
The Common Provisions Regulation
The Common Provisions Regulation ((EU) No 1303/2013) defines a common set of rules for all ESI funds. This includes provisions concerning conditionality, performance review, arrangements for monitoring, reporting, evaluation and eligibility rules.
- REGULATION (EU) No 508/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 May 2014 on the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF)