- Expand/Collapse Overview
- Expand/Collapse Data
- Expand/Collapse Waste generation and management
- Transboundary waste shipments
- Expand/Collapse Key Waste streams
- Expand/Collapse Indicators
Waste shipments across borders
In the European Union (EU), shipments of waste across borders are regulated by Regulation (EC) No 1013/2006 on shipments of waste, known as the Waste Shipment Regulation. This Regulation implements into EU law the provisions of the "Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal" as well as the OECD Decision. The Regulation includes a ban on the export of hazardous wastes to non-OECD countries ("Basel ban") as well as a ban on the export of waste for disposal outside the EU/EFTA area.
The Waste Shipment Regulation stipulates a procedure of prior written notification and consent (notification procedure) before cross borders shipments of:
- all hazardous waste
- other types of waste, including certain non-hazardous wastes that are destined to certain non-OECD countries
These amounts are to be reported to the Basel Secretariat and to the European Commission and these amounts are shown in the interactive map below.
In this map, shipments of waste that cross borders are termed 'exports' and 'imports', regardless of whether or not they remain within the EU.
Shipments of so-called green listed waste for recovery operations do not have to be reported to the European Commission and are not included in the figures shown in the map.
How to use
Click on an EU country to see the top 5 amounts imported or exported and all shipments to or from the country. When a different item is seleted in a dropdowlist the map is updated.
The interactive map is based on data from Eurostat's database. These data are presented in tabular form here.
Metadata (indicator profile) can be found here.
For more information on recent data and some historic trends, see the Statistics Explained article on waste shipments.
- Environment DG: Waste shipments (Reports)
- Basel Convention Centre
- Basel Convention: Waste shipments (Reports)
- The European Topic Centre on Sustainable Consumption and Production: Waste shipments (Reports)
- European Environment Agency: Waste shipment (Reports)