Data - International trade in goods
The ITGS ‘Main tables’ are predefined tables focusing on annual (long-term) and monthly (short-term) indicators. They are refreshed automatically when data are loaded into the databases. Data are available only for a limited range of products (e.g. SITC aggregates).
The ‘Database’ entry point offers users a more advanced tool for selecting and extracting data, with the possibility of creating tailor-made tables and to customise the navigation tree to display newly added datasets, latest updates or the most recently visited datasets. All trade in goods data can be accessed through ‘Database’, i.e. not only the detailed data but also all short and long-term indicators.
Accessible through the ‘Database’ entry point but also through direct links, Comext deserves a special focus as Eurostat's reference database for detailed statistics on international trade in goods.
A special focus is also given to ITGS by enterprise characteristics as bringing new perspectives on international trade in goods.
Information available in all datasets
International trade in goods statistics are published via different datasets. The frequency at which the data are compiled (data periodicity) and the product nomenclature differ depending on the dataset, but the following statistical fields are always available:
- reporting country: country or geo-economic area such as EU or the euro area;
- reference period: month or year;
- trade flows: import and export;
- product according to the relevant classification; and
- partner country: EU Member State, non-EU country or geo-economic area.
Indicators available for aggregated and detailed data
Aggregated data refer to macroeconomic indicators for the EU and the euro area. Data are aggregated by broad product categories, both monthly (short-term indicators) and annually (long-term indicators). Broad product categories are defined as one-digit codes of the Standard International Trade Classification (SITC) or aggregates of the Broad Economic Categories (BEC).
Detailed data refer to the most detailed level of the following product nomenclatures: the Combined Nomenclature (CN), the SITC, the BEC, the Classification of Products by Activity (CPA) and the Standard Goods Classification for Transport Statistics/Revised (NSTR). Detailed data also contain aggregations at higher levels.
- gross and seasonally adjusted value (in million euro) for exports, imports and trade balances;
- growth rates for exports and imports based on gross and seasonally adjusted values;
- unit-value indices;
- gross and seasonally adjusted volume indices;
- ratio of export and import indices; and
- growth rates for gross and seasonally adjusted indices.
- trade value (in billion euro);
- shares by reporting country or by main trading partners;
- unit-value indices;
- volume indices; and
- shares by invoicing currency.
- trade value (in euros);
- trade quantity (in kilograms); and
- trade quantity in supplementary units like, for example, litres or square metres (published for some goods according to the Combined Nomenclature).
- Short-term indicators are updated monthly on the date of the news release (about 46 days after the end of the reference month). The first release of short-term indicators is announced in advance in the Release Calendar for Euro Indicators. The specific Comext update calendar can also be consulted.
- Long-term indicators are updated every month on the date of the news release.
- Detailed statistics are updated every month on the date of the news release except for the following two datasets: statistics by tariff regime (twice a year, usually in April and September) and statistics by enterprises characteristics (once a year, usually in October). In addition, the Comext database contains a separate dataset which is updated daily, giving users immediate access to the most recently revised data.