Monetary and financial indicators - Euro-indicators
Monetary and Financial indicators
What is it about?
Monetary and financial indicators include information on interest rates, bond yields and exchange rates. Central banks seek to exert influence over both inflation and exchange rates, through controlling monetary policy – their main tool for this purpose is the setting of key interest rates.
What information can I find here?
This section provides information related to interest rates, bond yields and exchange rates.
An interest rate may be defined as the charge for borrowing money, measured as the percentage ratio between the sum payable to the lender and the amount borrowed, at an annual rate.
- Short-term interest rates: Rates on money markets for different maturities (overnight, 3 months). The dataset includes EONIA (Euro OverNight Index Average) and EURIBOR (EURo InterBank Offered Rates) with a maturity of 3 months.
- Long-term interest rates, Maastricht criterion: Yield on government bonds with a maturity of ten years. These series are used to define the Maastricht criterion on long-term interest rates, which is one of the criteria for determining if an EU Member State is eligible to join Economic and Monetary Union (EMU).
- Euro yield curves (1 year, 5 years and 10 years): The information content of a yield curve reflects the asset pricing process on financial markets.
The collection covers the datasets related to effective exchange rates (REER) and Euro vs foreign currency exchange rates.
- Effective exchange rates: The nominal effective series aims to track changes in the value of a country’s currency relative to the currencies of its principal trading partners. Real effective series are a measure of the change in competitiveness of a country, by taking into account the change in costs or prices relative to other countries.
- Euro vs foreign currency exchange rates: Bilateral exchange rates of the euro.
Below you can access the data either using our ready-made tables or datasets. The latter provide some more detailed information and give you the possibility to customise your data extraction. Please see also the release calendar.