Short-term business statistics provide turnover indicators for industry, trade and services.
As defined in Annex IV to the Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 1197/2020 of 30 July 2020 turnover of all income arising during the reference period in the course of ordinary activities of the statistical unit, and is presented net of all price reductions, discounts and rebates granted by it. (Note that short-term statistics might not take into account price reductions etc. that are given to clients at a later moment, e.g. at the end of the year and in view of the amount of general business done).
Some examples of items usually included in turnover are:
- Sales of manufactured products
- Sales of goods purchased for resale (esp. in trade)
- Sales of by-products
- Charges for packaging
- Invoiced services such as installation
Some examples of items that are usually excluded from turnover are:
- VAT and similar deductible taxes
- Amounts collected on behalf of any principal, if the statistical unit is acting as an agent
- Income not arising in the course of ordinary activities of the statistical unit (e.g. sales of land and fixed assets, leases and rentals, receipts from staff facilities such as canteens)