Glossary:Recovery of waste
Recovery of waste means any operation the principal result of which is waste serving a useful purpose by replacing other materials which would otherwise have been used to fulfil a particular function, or waste being prepared to fulfil that function, in the plant or in the wider economy.
Annex II of the Waste Framework Directive sets out a non-exhaustive list of recovery operations.
Definitions for recycling and reuse in waste specific Directives partially deviate from the
corresponding definitions of the Waste Framework Directive:
- The term recycling specified in waste specific Directives does in particular not include backfilling operations.
- Reuse as defined in the Packaging Directive 94/62/EC and the WEEE Directive 2002/96/EC comprises specifications, the Waste Framework Directive does not include.
- Waste Framework Directive:
- Directive 2008/98/EC of 19 November 2008 on waste, Article 3 (17)
- Waste specific Directives:
- Recovered products
- Recycling of waste
- Reuse of waste
- Waste (including disposal of waste)