Business demography covers:
- events in the life cycle of an enterprise such as births and other creations of enterprises, deaths and other cessations of units, and their ratio to the business population;
- the follow-up of enterprises over time, thus offering information on their survival or discontinuity;
- development over time of certain characteristics like size, thus offering information on the growth of enterprises, or a cohort of enterprises, by type of activity.
Summarizing, business demography statistics presents data on:
- the active population of enterprises;
- their birth;
- survival (followed up to five years after birth), and;