International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
On the occasion of the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty,
which takes place each year on 17 October,
Eurostat publishes a data visualisation tool as well as some interesting facts & figures
on people at risk of poverty or social exclusion in the European Union.
... that around one third (31.1%) of the EU population could not afford a one-week annual holiday away from home, with the highest share found in Romania (66%) and the lowest in Sweden (8.2%)?
... that the 26.5 % of children in the EU were at risk of poverty and social exclusion ranging from 13.8% in Denmark to 49.2% in Romania?
... that the 11.5% of the EU population with a tertiary education was at risk of poverty? This ranged from 3.4% in Malta to 21.1% in Greece.
…that the 67% of the unemployed population in the EU were at risk of poverty, with the highest share recorded in Germany (83.3%) and the lowest in Slovenia (56.3%)?
…that the share of households without children, which were at risk of poverty or social exclusion stood at 22.1% in the EU, ranging between 12.2% in the Czech Republic to 40% in Bulgaria?
Source: Eurostat, EU-Statistics on income, social inclusion and living conditions (EU-SILC).
Date of extraction: 13.10.2017. All data refer to 2016 data available for the Member States on the day of extraction.
Data for the EU have been estimated. Croatia, Netherlands and Romania: provisional data.
Further information can also be found in the Eurostat news release on people at risk of poverty or social exclusion.
You might also be interested in the following Statistics Explained articles:
- People at risk of poverty or social exclusion
- Social inclusion statistics
- Full list of articles on Poverty and social exclusion
- Eurostat: Statistics on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC)
- General Directorate Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion of the European Commission: European platform against poverty and social exclusion
- European Parliamentary Research Service: Articles on poverty in the EU
- United Nations: International Day for the Eradication of Poverty