Poverty Day 2016
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2016
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
On the occasion of the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty,
which takes place each year on 17 October,
Eurostat publishes a data visualisation tool as well as some interesting facts & figures
on people at risk of poverty or social exclusion in the European Union.
Data visualisation: At risk of poverty or social exclusion in the EU
Did you know
... that more than one third of the EU population could not face unexpected financial expenses, with the highest share found in Hungary (72.2%) and the lowest in Sweden (15.8%)
... that in the EU, 65.5% of children of parents with pre-primary and lower secondary education are at risk of poverty and social exclusion?
... that the share of persons who could not afford a computer ranged between 18.4% of the population in Romania to less than 1% in Sweden, compared with 4.6% in the EU?
... that one third of single parents in the EU were at risk of poverty, ranging from 17.4% in Finland to 47.6% in Lithuania?
... that 15.4% of employees in the EU working part-time were at risk of poverty (almost double the share of employees working full-time-7.8%) ?
Source: Eurostat, EU-Statistics on income, social inclusion and living conditions (EU-SILC).
Date of extraction: 13.10.2016. All data refer to 2015 data available for the Member States on the day of extraction.
Data for the EU have been estimated.
Further information can also be found in the Eurostat news release on people at risk of poverty or social exclusion.
You might also be interested in the following Statistics Explained articles:
Further information & statistics
- Eurostat: Statistics on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC)
- General Directorate Employment, Social Affairs & Inlcusion of the European Commission: European platform against poverty and social exclusion
- European Commission: Eurobarometer EB74.1 on "Poverty and Social Exclusion"
- European Parliamentary Research Service: Articles on poverty in the EU
- OECD publication: In It Together: Why Less Inequality Benefits All
- United Nations: International Day for the Eradication of Poverty