World Population Day
On the occasion of World Population Day, which is celebrated each year on 11 july,
Eurostat publishes an infographic & some interesting information on the
population in the European Union.
More information on World Population Day can be found on the website of the UN.
… that in 2018, Ireland (20.8%) had the highest proportion of young people (aged 0-14 years), while Italy had the lowest (13.5%)?
... that in 2018, the share of the foreign-born population ranged from 46.5% in Luxembourg to less than 2% in Poland?
... that, under the baseline scenario of the latest population projections issued by Eurostat, in 2100 the EU could have 72.2 million inhabitants aged 80 years or over (43.6 million more than in 2018)?
... that in the EU, the median age is projected to increase by more than 5 years, rising from 43.1 years in 2018 to 48.7 years in 2100?
Source: Eurostat, Population Statistics (Date of extraction: 09.07.2019).
Further information can also be found in the Eurostat news release on the EU population.
You might also be interested in the following Statistics Explained articles in population.
- Eurostat dedicated section on Population statistics
- Statistics for beginners article on population
- My Country in a Bubble infographic at Eurostat: Population by country
- Directorate-General Economy and Finances of the European Commission: 2018 Ageing report
- United Nations: Population trends
- OECD: Population indicators