How much do governments spend on fire-protection? - Products Eurostat News

null How much do governments spend on fire-protection?

04/05/2021

© Prath_ / Shutterstock.com

In 2020, 262 200 persons were employed as firefighters in the 22 EU Member States with available data, representing 0.1% of total employment in these countries. The vast majority of them were men (97%) and almost half of them were aged 35-49 (47%). Those aged less than 35 accounted for around one quarter (27%) as well as those aged 50 years old or over (26%).

Among the 22 EU Member States with available data, Romania and Estonia recorded the highest shares of firefighters in their workforces (all 0.4 % of total employment).

 

Spotlight on government expenditure

In 2019, the 27 EU Member States’ government expenditure on 'fire-protection services' amounted to €30.9 billion. This expenditure is equivalent to 0.5% of total government expenditure, which is less than the amount spent on police services (expenditure equivalent to 2.0% of total expenditure in 2019).

Overall, in the EU, public expenditure on fire-protection services remained stable at around 0.4 – 0.5% of total expenditure since the beginning of the time series in 2001.

 

Highest share of expenditure on fire-protection services in Bulgaria and Romania, lowest in Denmark and Malta

In 2019, the ratio of government fire-protection expenditure to total expenditure varied across EU Member States from 0.1% of total expenditure in Denmark, 0.2% in Malta, 0.3% in Austria and Slovenia to 0.7% in Czechia, 0.8% in Romania and 0.9% in Bulgaria.

 

Infographic: General government expenditure on fire-protection services

Source dataset: gov_10a_exp

 

This news is published on the occasion of the International Firefighters’ Day celebrated every year on 4 May.

 

For more information:

  • This information on general government expenditure for the function 'fire-protection services' (according to the Classification of the Functions of Government - COFOG) is based on national accounts/government finance statistics. For further information, you can visit the government finance statistics database and the methodological file. An interactive infographic is also available on the Eurostat website.
  • The figures on numbers of ‘fire-fighters’ were collected through the 2020 EU Labour Force Survey. Firefighters refer to category 'ISCO 5411 Firefighters', as defined under ISCO-08 classification. The article is based on the data from this special data extraction, however 2020 data are not available for Denmark, Spain, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Austria and Portugal.

 

To contact us, please visit our User Support page.

For press queries, please contact our Media Support.