The general objective of the project is to develop a framework enabling the production of small area estimates for ESS social surveys.
The specific objectives are:
- Complete the state of the art produced in the EURAREA project, update the documents available on small area estimation, describe the current application in UE NSIs and non-UE NSIs, create a common knowledge on application of small area estimation methods;
- Review and develop suitable criteria to assess the quality of SAE methods for the choice of proper model and the evaluation of MSE;
- Make available software tools for SAE to the ESS;
- Foster knowledge transfer by the development of case studies and associated recommendations on representative problems in small area estimation in the ESS;
- Provide practical guidelines in ESS social surveys context;
- Transfer knowledge and know-how to non-participating NSIs and disseminate results.
- Meeting 1 (Roma): month 1 – kick-off, organization of WP2, WP3 and WP4;
- AMELI Workshop (Wien): February 2010 – presentation of the project to scientific community;
- ESSnet workshop: June 2010 (requested by Eurostat – Annex I);
- Meeting 2 (Wiesbaden): month 7 – final results of WP2, first results of WP3 and WP4, organization of WP5;
- DIME meeting: October 2010 (requested by Eurostat – Annex I);
- Meeting 3 (Heerlen): month 13 – final results of WP3, first results of WP4, organization of WP5;
- SAE 2011 (Trier): Summer 2011 – dissemination of results of ESSnet;
- Meeting 4 (Neuchatel): month 18 – analysis of further results of WP4 and WP5, organization of WP6;
- Meeting 5 (Madrid): month 23 – final results of the project;
- Course: (Rome): month 26;
Dissemination actions towards the ESS:
- Dissemination of results is the fundamental objective of the ESSnet, the first instrument designed to share information on the activities run by the partners and results obtained will be available through a website. The website will represent also the platform for a forum on SAE application in order to help communication among NSIs willing to apply SAE on the estimation process.
- A course on SAE and 3 trainings-on-the-job are the instruments to facilitate the development of SAE among European Union countries.
- NSIs having expressed their interest in being informed as user of SAE by the ESSnet will have an active role, in directing the results, through reading commenting and testing.
- Finally, participation to statistical conferences and workshops related to small area estimation is suggested to inform the scientific community about the outcomes obtained at the various steps.
Project data sheet
Small Area Estimation
Project start date:
Tuesday, 22 December, 2009 to Wednesday, 21 March, 2012
Total eligible costs:
Istituto Nazionale di Statistica
Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques - INSEE
Statistisches Bundesamt - DESTATIS
Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek - CBS
Statistisk Sentralbyrå - SSB
Główny Urząd Statystyczny - GUS
Instituto Nacional de Estadística de Espada - INE
Office for national Statistics - ONS
Swiss Federal Statistical Office (SFSO)
- Final report of the state of the art on SAE (SAE; WP2)
- Final report on quality assessment (SAE; WP3)
- WP4 - Final version - Software tools for SAE
- Final report on the case studies (SAE; WP5)
- Final report on the guidelines (SAE; WP6)
- Slides for the training on the job in Portugal, Latvia and Slovakia (SAE; WP7)
- Additional slides for training on the job on poverty estimation - Slovak Republic (SAE; WP7)
- Code - Diagnostic in R (SAE; WP4)
- R codes + documentations (SAE; WP4)
- Diagnostic methods in SAS (SAE; WP4)
- R functions for CV and documentation for CV and cAIC (SAE; WP4)
- Description of the function for diagnostic (SAE; WP4)