SIMSTAT project on exchange of micro-data on intra-EU trade between Member States is based on the principle that data collected and available within the ESS should not be collected a second time. Therefore, the dispatches data of a Member States could serve as a data source for the arrivals data of another Member State. Accordingly, the purpose of the project is to enable the exchange of micro-data (enterprise level data) on intra-EU exports on trade in goods between Member States. In addition to the technical part of data transmission, the project has to ensure that the data exchanged fulfil a number of statistical requirements like, quality, timeliness, confidentiality etc.
The action aims at supporting the NSIs and national authorities compiling Intrastat data in finding common agreements concerning a number of practical statistical aspects of the project which are common to all participants in the test. These agreements are required to be achieved in order to prepare for conducting trial exchange of micro-data on intra-EU trade in a coordinated way and to test the future IT system for micro-data exchange.
More specifically, the action objectives are as follows:
- Benchmarking and analysis of national practices for compilation of intra-EU trade data of relevance to the micro-data exchange tests and identification of issues to be resolved before the start of the tests,
- Agree on the list of variables to be exchanged during the trial tests,
- Agree on a method for simulating partner ID, which will be exchanged together with other variables,
- Designing a timetable for the trial tests adjusted to the production timetables of the Member States and the current legal framework and integrated within the production processes. The timetable should accommodate the impact of late responses and data corrections,
- Establishing detailed rules for micro data validation and credibility checks, error correction and revision of data,
- Setting up confidentiality arrangements for the trial micro-data exchange,
- Elaborating guidelines on how to use the exchanged micro data during the trial tests for the purposes of data compilation and quality.