The overall objective of the GEOSTAT 2 project is to foster a better integration of statistics and geospatial information in order for the statistical community to provide more qualified descriptions and analyses of society and environment.
The specific objectives are:
- To propose a generic model for national (point based) geospatial reference frameworks for statistics, building on national address, buildings and./or dwelling registers. The reference framework should be suitable for statistics in the widest possible sense.
- To promote and consolidate the existing body of knowledge on spatial statistics in the ESS. This encompasses structuring and formatting and transferring existing information into a Wiki on spatial statistics.
- Support the EFGS in its networking, information sharing and capacity building efforts.
- Disseminate and share the results from the GEOSTAT projects among NSIs.
- Promote the application of spatial statistics and the integration of geospatial information into the statistical production chain, within the framework of the Generic Statistical Business Process Modell.
- Better involve NMCAs or other geospatial stakeholders in charge of geocoded registers into the network of the EFGS.
- Actively feed into the work on the integration of statistics and geospatial information in the framework of UN-GGIM.