The objective of the project is to setup a network bringing together experts on cultural statistics at EU level, in order:
- to further develop EU common statistical concepts and methods, needed in order to produce harmonised statistics, including the revision of the definition of the framework of cultural statistics (elaborated in 1999 by the LEG -culture),
- to contribute to further development of data production for such statistics, based on EU existing data sources,
- to test new pilot data collections when existing data sources cannot be used,
- to provide national experience for permitting larger and deeper analysis of the data.
To progress in this domain, Member States created four Task Forces dealing with core themes:
TF 1: "Framework for cultural statistics and definitions"
- Elaboration of the proposal for updating European framework of cultural statistics from 2000 (taking into account new 2009 UNESCO framework);
- Elaboration of an inventory of institutions/organisations producing cultural statistics in Europe (and worldwide) and of their activities;
- Study on comparable sources for new cultural sectors or related domains (e.g.: IPR
, cultural diversity, digital economy, cultural tourism, creativity, discrimination, etc.) and harmonisation of the methodology for these statistics.
TF 2: "Financing and expenditure on culture"
- Presentation of the "state of the art" of statistics on cultural expenditure and finance;
- Deepening the methodological work already carried out in order to be able to collect more exhaustive and more comparable data on public financing;
- Assessment of the comparability of data concerning household expenditure on culture).
TF 3: "Cultural industries"
- Establishing an inventory and analysis of national and international statistical sources which allow the production of statistics on cultural industries comparable at EU level;
- Drawing up definition of the field of cultural/creative industries (in close collaboration with TF 1) and elaboration of a set of indicators on the basis of the sources retained after assessment;
- Exploration of the possibilities of using business registers in a demographic perspective (number of start-ups, survival rate of start-ups after 5 and/or ten years, etc.).
TF 4: "Cultural practices and social aspects"
- Inventory of available national data collections and methodological evaluation of the data produced by available surveys in order to improve comparability.
- Updating, improving and harmonising the list of questions recommended for national surveys on cultural participation.
- Definition of indicators for measuring on one hand the impact of familial and socio-economics characteristics on cultural participation and, on the other hand, definition of indicators for measuring the impact of cultural participation on civil society
- Grant agreement
- Launching conference: December 2009
- Intermediary report: August 2010
- Final report: July 2011
- Final conference: August 2011
Dissemination actions towards the ESS :
- Publishing of documents on Circa
- Private page on the ESSnet portal
Work Packages (WP )
- WP1 – Management
- WP2 - Framework for cultural statistics and definitions
- WP3 – Financing and expenditure on culture
- WP4 - Cultural industries
- WP5 - Cultural practices and social aspects