COSMOS is an accompanying measure (Cluster) of five projects of the European Union Framework 5 research programme. It has the following objectives:
- to build better metadata repositories by exchanging ideas and experiences in using metadata systems for the individual projects
- to identify a common set of metadata objects, with agreed definitions, attributes and methods
- to implement a demonstration subset of these objects to show interoperability of the developed systems
- to define a methodology for further developing this interoperability.
The Cluster will link with other concertation activities in the area and international standards bodies. To achieve these objectives, we aim to:
- maximise the interchange between the key developers of the metadata models in each project
- give an opportunity for all participating institutions to meet and exchange experiences
- demonstrate the interoperability of the project outputs, while respecting the exigencies of each project plan.