ESSnet Big Data has organised a Dissemination Workshop on Thursday 23 and Friday 24 February 2017 in Sofia (BG) to present the results of the first specific grant agreement (SGA-I). More information on the Dissemination Workshop, including general information, the papers and presentations and a picture gallery, can be found here.
Thursday 23 February 2017
8:30 Welcome and registration of participants
9:00 Opening session
- Sergey Tsvetarsky, Director General of the Bulgarian National Statistical Institute hosting the Dissemination Workshop
- Mariana Kotzeva, Acting Director General of Eurostat
- Peter Struijs, Coordinator of ESSNET Big Data
09:45 Workpackage 3 - Smart meters
- WP3, carried out by four partners (EE, AT, DK and SE), focuses on smart meters and more particularly electricity meters as a possible source for statistics on energy consumption and possibly also on housing, household expenditure, environmental impact and energy production. More information.
10:45 Coffee break
11:00 Workpackage 1 - Webscraping job vacancies
- WP1 aims to demonstrate how the internet could be used as a source for statistics on job vacancies. Six partners (UK, DE, EL, IT, SE, SI) have explored a mix of sources, including job portals, job adverts on enterprise websites, and job vacancy data from third party sources. More information.
12:30 Lunch break
13:30 Workpackage 2 - Webscraping enterprise characteristics
- The six partners of WP2 (IT, BG, NL, PL, SE, UK) have been investigating the potential of webscraping, text mining and inference techniques to collect general information about enterprises. Compared to WP1, this involves more massive scraping of websites and treating more unstructured data. More information.
14:45 Workpackage 4 - AIS data
- The five partners of WP4 (NL, DK, EL, NO, PL) are investigating whether real-time measurements of ship positions, as measured by AIS (Automatic Identification System), can be used to improve existing statistics. More information.
15:45 Coffee break
16:00 Workpackage 5 - Mobile phone data
- WP5 has two main objectives: investigate and enable access to mobile phone data, and start developing use cases; it is carried out by 5 partners (ES, FR, IT, FI, RO), aided by one consulting partner (BE). More information.
17:00 Workpackage 6 - Early estimates
- WP6 aims to investigate multiple data sources of different types in order to produce early estimates, particularly for a consumer confidence index and for nowcasting turnover indices. More information.
18:00 End of the first day
Friday 24 February 2017
09:00 Keynote speech
- Tjark Tjin-A-Tsoi, Director General Statistics Netherlands:
- Changing gears: NSIs in the age of big data
09:30 Workpackage 7 - Multiple domains
WP7, carried out by four partners (PL, NL, IE and UK) aims to investigate how a combination of big data sources, administrative data and statistical survey data may enrich output in the statistical domains of population, tourism and border crossings, and agriculture. More information.
10:45 Coffee break
11:00 Data Science Society - Higher education in Bulgaria
11:30 ESSnet Big Data: what's next?
Presentation of the second specific grant agreement (SGA-II), including the new cross-cutting WP8 Methodology, and how this builds on the results of SGA-I. Chair: Marc Debusschere.
12:00 Panel - Big data and the future of the ESS
- A panel consisting of M. Owen Abbott (ONS UK, Head of Big Data team), M. Trevor Fletcher (OECD, Head Global Relations and Communications), Ms. Mariana Kotzeva (Eurostat, Acting Director General), M. Tjark Tjin-A-Tsoi (CBS NL, Director General) and M. Sergey Tsvetarsky (NSI BG, Director General) discusses and answers questions on the impact of big data on the organisation and operation of the ESS statistical institutes. Chair: Peter Struijs.