ESS Workshop on dissemination of official statistics as open data , 18-19 January 2017 (Malta)
Open Data is an emerging discipline with a huge potential for the (re-)dissemination of official statistics. There are numerous questions to address for the statistical community.
The ESS Workshop on dissemination of official statistics as open data is organised in the context of the DIGICOM project . The workshop aims at bringing together the various stakeholders to explore and prepare the ESS future orientation in this area of work, with active involvement of the members of the DIGICOM Work Package 3 “open data dissemination” in its preparation and animation.
Date and venue
The ESS Workshop will take place in St.Julians (Malta) from 18-19 January 2017.
- Increasing awareness on the opportunities of dissemination of statistics as open data and Linked Open Data for NSIs and benefits for their users;
- Identifying challenges concerning dissemination of statistics as Linked Open Data, and sharing experience on how to address them;
- Identifying synergies within the ESS joint development efforts which might serve the interest of multiple ESS NSIs or the entire ESS ,
- Contributing to the elaboration of a strategy at ESS level.
In order to address this complex topic, the ESS workshop will bring together the perspectives from different actors, technical and strategic, from the statistical community but also from the open data community.
The suggested profile of the participants from the NSIs therefore includes actors of national (linked) open data projects, staff with responsibilities in methodological and dissemination activities as well as managers.
Experts from ministries/agencies in charge of open data portals, re-disseminators, data analysts and data archives will also be present.
The event is structured around expert lectures and group discussions. The group discussions will in particular focus on:
- Opportunities: use cases (linked data, linked metadata), added-value for the users
- Challenges and how to address them : technical (IT tools, possibility to perform some services centrally , organisational, skills
- Standards, thesaurus, Uniform Resource Identifiers
- Strategy and policy
The full workshop programme will be made available here in due course.
Participation to the workshop (as well as the lunches and the social dinner) are free of charge, but workshop registration via the online interface is required (and places are limited).
For details, including reimbursement, accommodation and how to access the venue, pleaser refer to the dedicated page on practical details.
The organisers of the workshop can be reached for suggestions and questions on ESS-LOD2017@devstat.com. Additional information is also available on the pages below: