In Lesotho the structures for governance of public institutions exist but they do not have the capacity and environment to exercise their functions fully. Citizens, especially in rural areas, find it difficult to know what their rights are and where to voice their needs. The population is neither sufficiently informed nor strategically organised to exercise its civic rights. The constitution entrenches the right of citizens to participate in public affairs but is basically only applied at times of elections.
The overall objective of this project is to contribute to a more efficient and cost effective provision of public goods and services.
The specific objective of hte project is to contribute to increased citizens' awareness of governance matters and their capacity to engage in democratic and developmental processes.
1. Enhanced citizen engagement in democratic matters in Lesotho
2. Creation of Dialogue Platforms with effective engagement for local and national structures
3. Enhanced community participation in public policy processes in Lesotho
Facts and figures (for 2018):
- "Meet your MP" events, 66 Lipitsos in 50 Constituencies reached 8849 citizens (4.401 male/ 4.448 female)
- Co-organisation of Civic Education Conference in Pretoria
- Development of a National Civic Education Curriculum
- Kick-off of a Public Finance Management Campaign ("Let's keep our books together").