There are two key purposes of this project:
- to facilitate international and regional trade, to increase revenue from customs operations and to enhance the contribution of customs to Liberia's development and budget; and
- to improve accountability, transparency, effectiveness and efficiency of customs operations and management in Liberia.
Associated with these purposes are three results to be delivered by the project:
- increasing revenue collection nationally, including the establishment of a "Centre for Excellence" and pilot upgrade of selected key border posts;
- reduce smuggling and fraud through strengthened capacity for anti-smuggling, intelligence & investigation and enforcement;
- increased efficiency and enhanced trade facilitation, including reduced average clearance times, throiugh strengthened capacity for management controil and for consistent application of laws, regulations & procedures, in particular promotion of voluntary compliance and post clearance audit operations.
The Long Term Technical Assistance will be delivered through three organisational components:
- Support to Headquarters
- Support to the Compliance and Enforcement Division
- Support to the urban and rural ports.