Relations between the European Union and the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries are longstanding, dating back to before 1975 and the first Lomé convention. Successive partnership agreements have shaped the relationship up to the present time.
The current ACP-EU Partnership Agreement (CPA) was signed on 23 June 2000 in Cotonou, Benin – hence the name 'ACP-EU Partnership Agreement' or 'Cotonou Agreement'. It was concluded for a twenty-year period and will expire in February 2020.
The expiry of the Partnership Agreement, covering 100 countries with a total of some 1.5 billion people, is the opportunity to rejuvenate the EU's relationship with its ACP partners, taking into account the current global context.
A Joint Communication on A renewed partnership with the countries of Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific (link) proposes the building blocks for a new partnership with ACP countries.
What the new partnership is built on:
- UN 2030 Agenda, which sets out the Sustainable Development Goals
- Global Strategy for the EU’s Foreign and Security Policy
- Coherence with the European Consensus on Development
The Communication also takes into account the outcome of the joint consultation 'Towards a New Partnership between the European Union and the African, Caribbean and Pacific Countries after 2020' published in the summary report in March 2016 and the findings of the evaluation of the first 15 years of the CPA.
An impact assessment attached to the Communication provides a thorough analysis of the most relevant possible scenarios ahead, and identifies a preferred way forward that best serves identified EU interests.
- Joint Communication on A renewed partnership with the countries of Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific
- Impact assessment of the "Joint Communication on A renewed partnership with the countries of Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific" and its executive summary
- The Cotonou Partnership Agreement
- The Joint Consultation Paper
- The report on the Joint Consultation
- Roadmap of the initiative
- Evaluation of the Cotonou Partnership Agreement