Skip to main content
EURES logo

Living and working

Living and working in Europe

looking up at 3 skyscrapers
Photo by Philipp Birmes from Pexels

In order to be able to make informed decisions about mobility, job-seekers and employers need information on a wide range of practical, legal and administrative questions. The EURES Job Mobility Portal provides information tools which aim to give help and support when considering moving to or recruiting from another country.

The Living and Working Conditions database contains details on a number of important issues such as finding accommodation, finding a school, taxes, cost of living, health, social legislation, comparability of qualifications, etc.

Another valuable information tool is the Labour Market Information section, containing information on current trends on the European labour market by country, region and sector of activity.
Information on upcoming events of interest for jobseekers and employers in the country or region selected can be found in the Events Calendar.

About living & working

Thinking about practical, legal and administrative matters of importance when considering moving abroad can be confusing. The Living & Working Conditions pages on the EURES portal aim to help make your move abroad as smooth as possible by fully informing you beforehand.

You can also find out which sectors have a significant imbalance between vacancies and workers, in both the shorter and longer term, which may affect the focus of your job hunt.

Although the right to live and work in another EU country is one of the EU’s fundamental freedoms, and also applies to Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland under the EEA and EFTA agreements, citizens from some newer EU countries are subject to certain transitional rules. You can find more information on how the transitional arrangements are applied in the different EURES countries by looking at the ‘Free movement’ section of the portal, or by following the link below.

Are you someone who spends a limited time working for your employer outside of the Member State you normally work in? If so, then you are considered a "Posted Worker" and can find more information on the rules governing your working conditions in the ‘Posted Workers’ section of the Europa portal.

For more detailed information, you can always contact your local EURES Adviser, or a EURES Adviser based in the country you’d like to move to, for help.