Living and working conditions

Print this page


Moving to another Member State

Registration procedures and residence permits


Anyone starting employment in Ireland must apply for an Irish Personal Public Service Number (PPS). The Personal Public Service number (PPS Number) is a personal reference number. It helps you to apply for benefits and to get information from public service agencies quickly and easily. This includes services such as Social Welfare, Revenue, Public Healthcare and Education. To obtain a PPS Number you should visit the PPS Number allocation centre for the county that you are living in. For more information please visit:


If you are a member of EU and/ or European Economic Area (EEA) a residence permit is not required. All non-nationals who are not citizens of a Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, must register the Garda National Immigration Bureau


EU/ EEA nationals have the right to live and work in Ireland without a work permit, and have the same rights as Irish nationals with regard to pay and working conditions.


A non-EEA national (with some exceptions) requires an employment permit to take up employment in Ireland.


Further information:

Employment Permits Section:


Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment

Earlsfort Centre

Lower Hatch Street

Dublin 2

D02 PW01


Text last edited on: 05/2021