Living and working conditions

Print this page


Moving to another country

Registration procedures and residence permits


As an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, you can enter Greece simply by showing a valid identity card or passport. There is no entry visa requirement or other equivalent document.


The said citizens have the right of free movement and access to the labour market in the aforementioned states. EU/EEA/Swiss citizens may enter Greece and stay for 3 months.


Should any of the above citizens wish to exercise a profession which in Greece is regulated by laws laying down the required qualifications and procedure for obtaining a licence, such as for lawyers, medical doctors, engineers, etc., they must contact the competent body issuing licences to practise the profession.


For the purposes of travelling within the EU, forms which are common to all EU countries are issued by the competent authorities, e.g.:

  • U2 Portable Document (PDU2): which allows unemployed people seeking job in another EU Member State to transfer their unemployment benefits for up to 3 months;
  • Forms E 411 and F 005, which concern family benefits;
  • U1 Portable Document, which is a certificate granted for insurance and work periods and is used to receive unemployment benefit in another EU Member State;
  • Form E205: this shows that the job seeker is insured in their country of origin, and is issued by the competent insurance body. The above administrative forms are issued by the last country of employment.


If you wish to stay in the country for more than 3 months, you must contact the police station of the area in which you are residing to obtain a registration certificate. A residence permit confirms your right to stay in the country as an employed person who is an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen. Essential requirements for residing in Greece are to be in employment or in possession of sufficient resources. If the conditions are met, a residence permit is issued for 5 years and may be renewed.


Each resident receives a personal tax registration number (AFM) from the competent Public Revenue Office (DOY), which is required for tax services, as well as another registration number (AMKA) for social security services from the Citizen's Service Centre (KEP) and/or the Single Social Insurance Body (EFKA).


Citizens of the EU/EEA/Switzerland can work without any special permit. EU citizens are issued with a residence permit for the pursuit of paid employment when they present a statement of engagement from an employer. Dependent family members of an employed citizen or registered partner enjoy the same rights as that employed person.



1. Application

2. Supporting documents:

  • An exact photocopy of the current ID card or passport
  • a certificate of recruitment from the employer or other document showing that the employee is employed or that the EU citizen is engaged in independent economic activity.
  • proof of enrolment at an educational establishment and full sickness insurance, as well as a statement or other equivalent means showing that they have adequate resources

Supplementary information for EU family members:

  • The official document certifying the existence of family ties.
  • A photocopy of the certificate of registration for citizens accompanying or coming to meet their family member
  • A photocopy of the birth certificate for children or the certificate showing the age of any minor children
  • children and relatives aged over 21, a document issued by the competent authority in the country of origin showing that those persons are maintained by the EU citizen or live with him/her under the same roof in that State.

3. Photographs in all cases

The certificate is issued free of charge. After residence of 5 years, a permanent residence certificate may be applied for.


Advice: In order to have sickness insurance cover you must have with you the European Health Insurance Card from your country of origin.


Text last edited on: 07/2021