Living and working conditions

Print this page

Czech Republic

Moving to another country

Registration procedures and residence permits


If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA Member State or Switzerland and come to the Czech Republic, you have to follow the following procedures:

Registering for residence:
If you wish to stay in the territory of the Czech Republic for more than 30 days, you have to report your stay to the Aliens Police in the place where you are staying within 30 days of your entry into the country.

Residence permits:
If you wish to stay longer than three months, you have to apply for a residence permit at a regional office of the Ministry of the Interior (Department for Asylum and Migration Policy). For this purpose, you will need the following documents:

  • valid passport or another valid travel document (identity cards of EU citizens are acceptable)
  • proof of health insurance (it is not required if purpose of residence is employment, entrepreneurship or other gainful activity)
  • document proving the purpose of your stay, if it is employment, entrepreneurship or other gainful activity, or study,
  • proof of having accommodation in the Czech Republic,
  • 1 photograph.

Under EC regulations, the purposes of stay are as follows:

  • work
  • study
  • economic activities
  • family membership

Even if you do not need a residence permit (because you wish to stay for less than three months), we recommend registering with the Aliens Police. Such registration may be required by some institutions, particularly banks and tax authorities.

Text last edited on: 07/2016

Are you satisfied with the information provided on this page?

Need help?  
Need help?