How the EU External Investment Plan works
Through the Plan we offer 3 things:
We’ve allocated €4.6 billion in EU funds to bring in new investment of up to €47 billion.
We’re using this money in two ways:
Here we take an all-new approach. We share the risk so that private investors and development banks will finance entrepreneurs or development projects.
Here we cover part of the costs of a development project to get it off the ground, with public and private investors financing the rest.
We also fund what’s called technical assistance from experts.
• help develop new projects - for example, to ensure a new solar power plant will succeed, so investors will finance it
• enable local and EU firms to draft business plans
• support governments in enacting reforms to attract investors.
Investment climate support
We work closely with governments to help them improve the investment climate.
• the business environment, like how easy it is to start a business
• other factors, such as how stable a country is.
And we bring together governments and businesses to address investment challenges.