On 20-21 March 2018, the Thematic Network on social economy (SE TN) met to discuss the opportunity that circular economy offers to social economy enterprises and the role the ESF can play in fostering this link.
A study visit to Televil gave participants the opportunity to learn from a concrete example in Belgium. The mission of this social economy enterprise is to include vulnerable people in the labour market through activities in the frame of the circular economy.
Main results from the discussions were:
- SE TN will participate in the conference organised by DG Grow on the relationships between the social economy and traditional businesses that will take place in Brussels on 3-4 July.
- The decision on the theme to be discussed in the autumn’s meeting will be taken in the July meeting. Possible themes that were discussed are:
- How social economy can face the challenges and seize the opportunities brought by digitalisation and the future of work;
- How social economy can become more green;
- Combination of grants and financial instruments;
- Social Impact measurement;
- Migration and social economy: it was decided that it is not a topic relevant for all countries.
- Upcoming conferences on social economy: in Edinburgh on 12-14 September (possibility to have a peer-review) and in Madrid on 18 October on social enterprises.