This 2015 UK study demonstrates the benefits of encouraging adult literacy learners to develop their reading skills.
The study explored the emotional, social and psychological benefits to adults of reading for 30 minutes or more per week for pleasure. Regular readers reported a number of benefits including:
- fewer feelings of stress and depression than non-readers,
- stronger feelings of relaxation,
- higher levels of self-esteem,
- greater ability to cope with difficult situations,
- feeling closer to their friends and to their community,
- greater understanding and empathy with others,
- stronger and more engaged awareness of social issues and of cultural diversity.