Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency
EPALE – Electronic Platform for Adult Learning in Europe
EPALE is an initiative of the Directorate-General for Education and Culture (DG EAC) of the European Commission, who are committed to making it a permanent feature of the European adult learning landscape.
Overseen by the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA), EPALE is managed on a day-to-day basis by a Central Support Service (CSS). National Support Services (NSS) also work alongside the CSS, helping to populate EPALE with interesting and unique content. For more information on EPALE click here.
The Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency ("EACEA") is committed to preserving your privacy. All personal data are dealt with in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 on the protection of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies.
The following Privacy statement outlines the policies by which the EACEA collects, manages and uses the personal data of the concerned individuals within the EPALE – Electronic Platform for Adult Learning in Europe.
1. Who is responsible for processing your personal data (data controller)?
Unit or service: Unit A5
Function: Head of Unit
Postal address: Education Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency, Avenue du Bourget 1, BOUR, BE-1140 Brussels
2. Which personal data are processed?
- Organisation and address (if applicable)
- Country based in
- Language(s) used
- Contact details – e.g. email address
- Related thematic areas of interest
- Features of interest on the site e.g. partner search
3. For which purpose do we process your data?
Personal data is gathered for internal purposes relating to mailing, distribution of information etc. Users will also be able to “opt in” and create more detailed users profiles which will be public and can be used to help find partners and other users working in similar areas across Europe in order to share best practice. However, it will be the choice of the users to share this information with the EPALE community.
The processing of personal data in the relevant parts of the platform is necessary to allow users to find partners, to allow EPALE registrants to communicate and collaborate in the spirit of mutual trust and respect and to allow monitoring activities to prevent improper usage of the platform.
4. Who has access to your personal data and to whom is it disclosed?
- European Commission, Directorate General Education and Culture (EAC) and Directorate General for Employment, Social affairs and Inclusion (EMPL) designated staff
- EACEA designated staff
- The EPALE Central Support Service (CSS), run by the consortium Ecorys UK – Intrasoft International
- EPALE National Support Services (NSSs), who are in charge of promoting EPALE to the local and national stakeholders, and keeping contact with them. The full list of organisations is listed in this page: https://ec.europa.eu/epale/en/nss.
- Researchers if specifically allowed by the Data Controller.
In case of control or dispute the bodies charged with a monitoring or inspection task in application of Union law (e.g. Internal Audit Service, Internal Audit Capacity, European Commission, OLAF, EU Courts etc.).
5. How long do we keep your personal data?
- Data processed in the context of internal telecommunications networks (traffic data and directories) maybe disclosed to CSS team members/EACEA/EAC/EMPL and will be kept during all the EPALE action.
- Regarding the contact details: 1 year after user's last login, data will be set to inactive, i.e. no longer visible to the public. 2 years after user's last login data are permanently made anonymous and only kept for statistical use. The contact details will be immediately made anonymous upon request of the registrant.
- Messages in forums will be kept during all the EPALE action.
- Messages or Educational materials posted in the Resources centre will be kept during all the EPALE action.
- Messages or Educational materials posted in the NSS closed group and other groups will be kept during all the EPALE action.
- Files and blog posts will be kept during all the EPALE action.
6. How can you exercise your rights, such as the right of access and rectification of data concerning you?
Data subjects can access, rectify and delete their data themselves on the platform.
Users are able to opt in and out for certain features e.g. they can have a user profile but may not want to make this public for the partner search etc.
You can also contact the data controller (see above point 1) in case of request for further information or for deactivating the account.
7. Your right to have recourse in case of conflict on any personal data issue
In case of conflict on any personal data protection issue you can address yourself to the Controller at the above mentioned address and functional mailboxes. You can also contact EACEA's Data Protection Officer at the following email address: email@example.com.
Should the conflict not be resolved by the Controller, you may lodge a complaint with the European Data Protection Supervisor at any time: Website http://www.edps.europa.eu; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. On which legal basis are we processing your personal data?
The legal bases for this new initiative are:
- the Decision 1720/2006/EC of the Parliament and of the Council of 15 November 2006 (OJ L 327 of 24.11.06, p.45), establishing an action programme in the field of lifelong learning, subsequently amended by the Decision No 1357/2008/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 December 2008 (OJ L 350 of 30.12.08, p.56) , and the work programme 2012 of the Directorate-General for Education and Culture of the European Commission.
- Regulation (EU) No 1288/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 December 2013 (OJ L 347, 20.12.2013, p. 50–73) establishing 'Erasmus+': the Union programme for education, training, youth and sport and repealing Decisions No 1719/2006/EC, No 1720/2006/EC and No 1298/2008/EC, and the work programme 2015 of the Directorate-General for Education and Culture of the European Commission.
Service contract signed with Ecorys/Intrasoft (ref: 2012-5529/001-001)
Tendering specifications EPALE – Electronic Platform for Adult Learning in Europe EACEA/2012/05
Restricted call for proposals EPALE NATIONAL SUPPORT SERVICES EACEA N° 04/2014 and 01/2015
Memorandum of Understanding for the "FPFIS-CMS" service signed between EACEA and DIGIT (ref: DIGIT – 00488-00)
 Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data, OJ L8 of 12.1.2001, p. 1.
To download the .pdf version of the Privacy Statement, click here.