The project aimed to combat the phenomenon of radicalization starting from the most difficult contexts of the Palermo society, promoting the inclusion and enhancement of cultural differences through sport practice.
Sport as a tool for social inclusion
January – December 2018
CEIPES – International Centre for the Promotion of Education and Development, Italy;
This project has been funded with support of EAC - Monitoring and coaching, through sports, of youngsters at risk of radicalisation
The specific objectives were:
- To remove the physical and cultural barriers impeding young people from prison and /or reception centres for migrants to participate in sport activities with local peers;
- To awaken and divulge the values of sports among young people living in prisons and to lower the lure of radicalization by proposing them an alternative to violence and solitude;
- To equip young people with lower opportunities with sound knowledge and skills to make the best use of sport over a 9-month preparation training course;
- To emphasize important European values through sport participation such as gender balance, fair-play collaboration, and social acceptance;
- To bring together young people of different backgrounds (detainees; local young people; migrant and refugees people) and religions (Muslims; Christians; Hindus) and to cooperate together in the realization of the final tournament.
Implementation and outcomes
The project involved a target group of 70 young people, between the ages of 16 and 25 of both sexes, including young prisoners, refugees and young people with migrant background, as well as young people from the city of Palermo, who participated in Athletic, Football-5 and Volleyball,
The activities took place in the CUS Palermo headquarters and at Juvenile Penitentiary “Malaspina” in three phases:
Intercultural and active citizenship training course
An athletic preparation in 3 sports
Thanks to the work of coaches and educators, they developed and experimented the values of solidarity and sharing and, especially, with the importance of being part of a team, regardless of cultural, religious or social background of its members.
Output - Training Manual: http://ceipes.org/wp-content/uploads/manuale-isport-online-1.pdf
Coordinator: CEIPES – International Centre for the Promotion of Education and Development, Italy;
CEIPES – International Centre for the Promotion of Education and Development, Italy;(www.ceipes.org)
University Sports Center of Palermo – CUS Palermo; (http://www.cuspalermo.it)
Department of Psychological, Pedagogical and Educational Sciences of the University of Palermo; (http://www.unipa.it/dipartimenti/dipsicologia/)
“Istituto Malaspina” Juvenile detention centre of Palermo;
Associazione Studenti Stranieri (Foreign Students Association);
Comunità Ivoriana in Sicilia;
Municipality of Palermo;
SPRAR centers in Palermo city (Refugee Reception Centers).
Project Presentation Conference – 28 February 2018, Palermo, Italy
Final event – 28th of November, 13th of December 2018, Palermo, Italy
The project results are available at I - Sport Portfolio page http://ceipes.org/project/i-sport-inclusive-sport-project-opposed-to-radicalization-tenets/ where you can also download the Training manual. It consist of guidelines on the specific sport training programs, together with the session outlines of the non-formal education activities implemented by CEIPES.
The manual is the result of the work of sports coaches, operators of a juvenile penitentiary institute, educators from the world of associations and operators of hosting centers for migrants, who, together with expert researchers from the University of Palermo, have put into their skills and experiences, creating a model that can be available to those who want to work in disadvantaged contexts to combat radicalization and promote social inclusion.