EU legislation on extractive waste
2006/21/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on
the management of waste from the extractive industries
In accordance with Article 22(1) of the Directive, the Commission has adopted by Comitology the following implementing measures:
- Commission Decision 2009/337/EC on the Criteria for the classification of waste facilities in accordance with Annex III, adopted on 20/04/09, published on 22/04/09 (L 102, page 7)
- Commission Decision 2009/335/EC on the Technical guidelines for the establishment of the financial guarantee, adopted on 20/04/09, published on 21/04/09 (L 101, page 25)
- Commission Decision 2009/360/EC completing the technical requirements for waste characterisation, adopted on 30/04/09, published on 1/05/09 (L 110, page 48)
- Commission Decision 2009/359/EC on the Definition of inert waste in implementation of Article 22 (1)(f), adopted on 30/04/09, published on 1/05/09 (L110, page 46)
- Commission Decision 2009/358/EC on the Harmonisation, the regular transmission of the information and the questionnaire referred to in Articles 22(1) (a) and 18, adopted on 29/04/09, published on 1/05/09 (L 110, page 39)
- Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2020/248 laying down technical guidelines for inspections, adopted on 21 February 2020, published on 25/02/2020, (L51, page 4)
In accordance with Article 22 (2) (a, b and e), the Commission has given a mandate to CEN in order to develop the required standardised sampling and analysing methods. CEN has also been mandated for the interpretation of the definition of inert waste, pursuant to article 22 (2) c). The final report was published end of 2012. For more details on the standards, please click here.
The Commission has also formally adopted a reference document on the Best Available Techniques (BREF) on the management of waste from extractive industries .
Other relevant EU legislation