Many engines and mechanisms need lubricant oils to function. Around half of all purchased lubricant oil will ultimately become waste oil. The rest is lost during use, or through leakage.
Waste oils are considered hazardous waste and have some dangerous properties. One litre of waste oil can contaminate one million litres of water. Waste oils in rivers, lakes and streams threaten aquatic life. Also, if waste oils are left on the ground, they can severely contaminate soil.
Everyone, including industries, consumers, and garages have an essential role to play in the recovery of waste oil. They must make sure to hand waste oil over to authorised collectors and avoid dumping it at all costs.
The Waste Framework Directive requires EU countries to take measures to
- treat waste oils in accordance with the waste hierarchy to protect human health and the environment
- ensure waste oils are collected separately
- ensure that waste oils with different characteristics are not mixed, and that waste oils are not mixed with other kinds of waste or substances that would impede their treatment
In 2018, a review on the implementation of EU waste legislation was published, including waste oils.
Key dates related to EU rules on waste oils
- 31 December 2022Deadline for submission of a legislative proposal on measures for the treatment of waste oils, if appropriate
- 12 December 2010Entry into force of Waste Framework Directive, including provisions on waste oils
- 12 December 2010Former Waste Oil Directive repealed
- 18 June 1975Former Waste Oil Directive enters into force
- Study to support the Commission in gathering structured information and defining of reporting obligations on waste oils and other hazardous waste
- Executive summary - critical review of existing studies and life-cycle analysis on the regeneration and incineration of waste oils
- Report - critical review of existing studies and life-cycle analysis on the regeneration and incineration of waste oils
For any questions concerning the Waste Framework Directive, please contact our functional mailbox.