The European Green Leaf Network (EGLN) is a network of past and present European Green Leaf winners and those shortlisted for the Award. The network currently includes Cornellà de Llobregat (Spain), Elsinore (Denmark), Gabrovo (Bulgaria), Galway (Ireland), Horst aan de Maas (Netherlands), Joensuu (Finland), Lappeenranta (Finland), Leuven (Belgium), Limerick (Ireland), Ludwigsburg (Germany), Mechelen (Belgium), Mikkeli (Finland), Mollet del Vallès (Spain), Nyborg (Denmark), Ringkøbing-Skjern (Denmark), Torres Vedras (Portugal) and Växjö (Sweden).
The European Green Leaf Network provides its members with the opportunity to collaborate and exchange ideas and experiences with colleagues from other city administrations who have a similar high level of ambition and commitment to the environment. The common aspect of EGLN members is their high performance within the EGLA competition.
The goals of the EGLN are outlined as follows:
- Branding – to assist Network members to gain additional visibility and have the opportunity to showcase best practices
- Collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Sharing of information and experiences with DG Environment
- Undertaking shared initiatives
To date eight thematic EGLN meetings have taken place:
- 23rd June 2016 – Ljubljana – EGLN Set Up Meeting
- 1st and 2nd December 2016 – Mollet del Vallès – A focus on Nature and Biodiversity
- 23rd March 2017 – Torres Vedras – A focus on Sustainable Food
- 21st and 22nd February 2018 – Galway – A focus on Waste Management
- 26th and 27th March 2019 – Leuven – A focus on Energy with Sustainable Urban Development
- 12th and 13th September 2019 – Växjö – A focus on Sustainable Food Production and Consumption
- 13th July 2020 – Cornellà de Llobregat & Horst aan de Maas co-chair (online) – A focus on Sustainable Measures applied to limit Covid-19
- 26th November 2020 – Cornellà de Llobregat (online) – A focus on Nature Based Solutions (NBS)
Every thematic meeting will focus on one of the six topic areas of the European Green Leaf Award. The Network has regular meetings in addition to the thematic meetings.
The EGLN is currently managed by Limerick, Ireland and Mechelen, Belgium. For further information about the EGLN please email: email@example.com.
The European Green Capital winning and finalist cities also have a European Green Capital Network (EGCN) which has similar aims to the EGLN. Find out more about the EGCN here.
See below for a map of current EGLN members.