The selection of a city awarded with the title of European Green Capital is assessed on the basis of twelve environmental indicators:
- Air Quality
- Nature and Biodiversity
- Sustainable Land Use and Soil
- Green Growth and Eco-innovation
- Climate Change: Mitigation
- Climate Change: Adaptation
- Sustainable Urban Mobility
- Energy Performance
Information to be provided by the applicant cities:
In the EGCA Application Form, cities are asked to provide information on their performance across the above 12 environmental indicator areas.
Specifically, the Application Form has 4 sections per indicator, as follows
- Describe the present situation.
- Describe the measures implemented over the last five to ten years.
- Describe the short and long term objectives for the future and proposed approach to achieve these.
- List how the above information can be documented, add links where possible.
For information on putting together an application for the European Green Capital Competition please take a look at our guidance note.
Two-tier evaluation process
A panel of internationally acknowledged Experts assesses the information supplied by each city. This includes qualitative evaluations and a peer review of each application based on the 12 indicators above. The Expert Panel determines the shortlist of cities that enter into the final stage of the competition.
The finalist cities are then invited to present their action plans and communication strategies to the Jury. Following these presentations, the Jury deliberates and selects the winner of the European Green Capital Award.
Key dates for 2023 competition cycle
- 28 May 2020: Competition opens
- July 2020 (details TBC): Applicant Workshop on How to Compile a Quality Application
- 28 October 2020 at 23:59 CET (GMT +1): Competition closes
- November 2020 - March 2021: Assessment of applications by Expert Panel
- April 2021: Announcement of Finalists
- June 2021: Finalist cities make presentations to the Jury
- June 2021: Awards Ceremony to announce the winner
For Competition Schedule Changes in 2020, please visit our Important Notice.