The selection of a city awarded with the title of European Green Capital is assessed on the basis of twelve environmental indicators:
- Climate Change: Mitigation
- Climate Change: Adaptation
- Sustainable Urban Mobility
- Sustainable Land Use
- Nature and Biodiversity
- Air Quality
- Green Growth and Eco-innovation
- Energy Performance
Information to be provided by the applicant cities:
In the EGCA Application Form, cities are asked to provide information on their performance across the above 12 environmental indicator areas.
Specifically, the Application Form has 4 sections per indicator, as follows
- Describe the present situation.
- Describe the measures implemented over the last five to ten years.
- Describe the short and long term objectives for the future and proposed approach to achieve these.
- List how the above information can be documented, add links where possible.
For information on putting together an application for the European Green Capital Competition please take a look at our guidance note.
Two-tier evaluation process
A panel of internationally acknowledged Experts assesses the information supplied by each city. This includes qualitative evaluations and a peer review of each application based on the 12 indicators above. The Expert Panel determines the shortlist of cities that enter into the final stage of the competition.
The finalist cities are then invited to present their action plans and communication strategies to the Jury. Following these presentations, the Jury deliberates and selects the winner of the European Green Capital Award.
Key dates for 2022 competition cycle
- 14th May 2019 – Competition opened
- 27th May 2019 – Applicant workshop to find out how to put together a quality application
- 14th October 2019 at 23:59 CEST (GMT +2) – Competition closed
- November 2019 – March 2020 – Assessment of applications by Expert Panel
- April 2020 – Announcement of finalist cities
- May/June2020 – Finalist cities will present their communications strategy and vision to the Jury, chaired by the European Commission
- May/June 2020 – Awards Ceremony to announce the winner of the 2022 European Green Capital title