Rules of Contest
Download the latest rules of contest of the European Green Capital Award (EGCA) here.
At present, the eligibility criteria for the EGCA are as follows:
- The European Green Capital Award is open to EU Member States1, EU Candidate Countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
- All cities from the countries listed above which have more than 100,000 inhabitants can apply for the Award.
- In countries where there is no city with more than 100,000 inhabitants, the largest city is eligible to apply.
- A “city” is understood to be an urban area, including metropolitan areas, with an administrative unit governed by a city council or another form of democratically elected body.
- In any given year, cities can apply for either the European Green Capital Award or European Green Leaf Award, but not both at the same time.
- Past winners may not apply for a period of ten years after they held the European Green Capital title year.
- The signatory should be the Mayor or highest-ranking city representative, authorised by national law to legally represent the city.
For more information on how to apply, please click here.
1 For British candidates or applicants: Please be aware that after the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, the rules of access to EU financial competing procedures of economic operators established in third countries will apply to candidates or applicants form the UK depending on the outcome of the BREXIT negotiations. In case such access to the EU market is not provided by legal provisions in force, candidates or applicants from the UK could be rejected from the financial procedure.