The project, presented by Ceramiche Gardenia Orchidea S.p.A., one of the most important industry in the Italian ceramic sector, aim to industrialize a new process useful to manufacture the surface of innovative natural stones, like tiles, without using high quantity of water and abrasive with silicon carbide, used in the actual working process. This will involve important environmental progresses in the efficient exploitation of raw materials, in the water consumption and in waste production. The new process envisage the dry use of air and powders of raw materials in the surface finishing processes of some materials for floor and covering, as ceramic tiles and natural stones, allowing the recycling of the abrasive materials as raw material, water saving and the elimination of high quantity of sludge deriving from the dump processing with silicon carbide grinding wheels, that make the refuse a special waste.
In this page:
Significant reduction of water consumption, elimination of high quantity of waste, better use of raw material, possibility to transfer the technology.
- Set up of an innovative micro-structured polishing treatment for tiles and natural stones that involve important environmental benefits and improve the technological characteristics of the products;
- There will be a saving of 500 ton/year of water and an equivalent reduction in the polluting sludge production;
- There will be a saving of raw material in order of 165 ton/year and a reduction of 70% of the energy consumption (0,66 Kwh/m2 instead of 2,38) in its preparation phase;
- There will be no longer the need to use about 200 grinding wheels per year;
- The development of the project should help to reduce the mining of natural stones and to increase the use of artificial ones, increasing the esthetical effects;
Ceramiche Gardenia Orchidea S.p.a.
27 Via Canaletto - frazione Spezzano
41040 Fiorano Modenese Emilia-RomagnaItaly
Duration:09/06/2009 to 08/06/2012