The GEnIuS project comes up to launch Graphene Plus into the European market as an eco-innovative technical solution for oil spills clean-up. Graphene Plus is an inert, safe and recyclable adsorbent material, based on natural graphite, with a high and fast sorption capacity for every type of not emulsified oil. Graphene Plus is able to remove hydrocarbons even at low concentrations and to favour the recovery of almost the totality of sorbed oil thus limiting the production of wastes. Graphene Plus can be produced directly on-site thus preventing transportation costs.
In this page:
Graphene Plus as an eco-innovative adsorbent for oil spills clean-up. Benefits of use: reduction of waste deriving from oil spills clean-up activities, recovery of spilled oil, possible recycling of adsorbent material, limitation of use of chemical toxic dispersants, reduction of greenhouse emission.
- Reduction of clean-up costs: decrease of 60% of cost per unit (€/kg of oil sorbent) compared to the best market performing adsorbent materials (Green Oil).
- Reduction of waste: saving of 120 tonnes of dry absorbent material (diverted from landfills); 2.400 tonnes of oil recovered and 30 tonnes of Graphene Plus material recycled.
- Reduction of dangerous substances: saving of 2.400 tonnes of oil (irritant, carcinogenic, toxic, persistent substance) and 180 tonnes of oil dispersants (toxic and persistent substances used for oil spills remediation).
- Reduction of greenhouse emissions: savings of 7.680.000 tonnes of CO2 emissions produced from the controlled oil burning technique of 2400 tonnes of spilled oil (traditional oil spill clean-up technique).
- Reduction of Energy consumption: 28.167.000 Kwh/year of energy saved equal to up 2.400 tons of oil. Increased number of customers and entry in new transnational markets: approximately 40 oil producers in Europe (EU, extra EU and candidate countries).