The specific objective of this project is to develop a European wide certification scheme for post-consumer plastics recycling. This scheme will assess the good practice, the output quality and the gain in terms greenhouse gases done by the audited recycler. The intention is that the waste collectors will have a harmonised European tool to guarantee that the waste they deliver will be recycled in a sustainable manner by the recycler. The responsible recyclers will benefit from this certification which will consent an increase market for plastics secondary raw materials, a sound recycling activity and the increase recycled quantities. Moreover, this increase transparency will permit a quality guarantee to plastics converters. Consequently, this will lead to an increase use of recycled material in new products. The foreseen certification will work according to the European Standard EN 15343:2007, published in April 2008, aims to encourage an environmentally friendly recycling of plastics by standardising it. This standard is particularly focusing on the process for the traceability and assessment of conformity and recycled content of recycled plastics.
In this page:
The specific objective of this project is to develop a European wide certification scheme for post-consumer plastics recycling. This will lead an accrued financial, technical and supply efficiency of the industry.
- Created a European certification of post-consumer plastics recyclers.
- Integration of the different schemes in one scheme, to realize a considerable minimization of the effort for the recycling plants.
- Less work with the authorities or financial relief in terms of potential solutions concerning taxes and duties.
- The audit scheme has been finalised and 25 audits are have been financed by the project.
- Further dissemination is now being planned.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
Association Européenne des Recycleurs de Plastiques
66 Av. de Cortenbergh
1000 BrusselsRégion de Bruxelles-Capitale / Brussels Hoofdstedelijk GewestBelgium
Duration:01/09/2009 to 31/08/2012